Sunday, June 04, 2006

Wine, Cheese and Lights at the Art Gallery

Julie Swank

I firmly believe in giving back to my community by volunteering my time and talent to support the causes I believe in. A lovely little non-profit art gallery asked me to arrange an evening of wine tasting and hors d’oeuvres to honor their donors. Of course, I accepted with a smile. Some of my dearest friends are artists.

The first order of business was to establish a theme. Upon finding a plethora of twinkle lights, floating candles, and snazzy yellow stringed globe lights stashed away at the gallery, my dear friend Sissy, who graciously offered her assistance at a mere moment’s notice, decided that “Thank You for Lighting Our Way” would be the theme. Well done Sissy!

A superb neighborhood bistro agreed to donate the wine and appetizers for the evening, and I focused on the decorations. Upon my banquet tables I laid, paisley patterned taupe cloths. Then I spread several strands of twinkle lights on top of the cloths. I placed blocks of wood, in a variety of sizes and heights, amongst the lights. I was careful to make sure the blocks were big enough to hold my serving dishes.

Next, I laid cream-colored cotton gauze-type fabric on top of the entire table, covering the blocks. The fabric was lightweight, but not entirely sheer. I set my serving dishes upon the blocks, and plugged in the lights. The effect was nearly breathtaking, especially at dusk.

Before the guests arrived, Sissy and I rushed around and lit all the floating candles that we’d placed in clear glass vases, half-filled with water, which we’d scattered about the gallery. A trio from the local music school provided live music on the porch, which was lit with the globe lights and additional candles.

A wine steward corked the wine and poured, while the guests helped themselves to the delicate morsels of delicious food. A fine time was had by all.

Another job, well done!

No comments: